Are Plaintiffs' Lawyers Making Fraudulent Asbestos Claims?
December 14, 2001
People showing no signs of asbestos-related injuries are filing claims and walking away with money from the Manville Trust -- set up by the John Mansville Corp. in 1982 to administer compensation claims of those suffering from asbestos-related medical impairments. Those familiar with the claim process charge that plaintiffs' attorneys are milking the trust -- to the disadvantage of those who are truly sick, often with cancer, by reducing payments to them.
- Critics say chest x-rays -- required to be consistent with asbestos exposure -- are often questionable and that the trust created a payment system that made it too easy for perhaps hundreds of thousands of people to claim injuries and receive money.
- Since the trust was launched in 1988, it has paid out $2.7 billion in claims and has about $2 billion in remaining assets.
- The trust's general counsel says the organization received over 58,000 claims last year -- twice as many as in the year-earlier period -- which jumped again this year to 70,000 claims in the first 11 months of this year.
- To deal with the rise in claims, the trust lowered payments to five cents on the dollar from 10 cents in July.
According to a letter federal Judge Jack B. Weinstein received from the trustees, "a disproportionate amount of Trust settlement dollars have gone to the least injured claimants -- many with no discernible asbestos-related physical impairment whatsoever."
Source: Queena Sook Kim, "Asbestos Trust Says Assets Are Reduced as the Medically Unimpaired File Claims," Wall Street Journal, December 14, 2001.
Browse more articles on Government Issues