I'M CONSERVATIVE...AND HAPPY
March 2, 2006
Conservatives live happier lives than liberals, says columnist George Will. Indeed, the Pew Research Center survey found, that regardless of income, 47 percent of conservative Republicans consider themselves "very happy," while only 28 percent of liberal Democrats fall into the same category.
According to Will, conservatives live happier lives, because they:
- Believe everyone experiences relentless problems.
- Acknowledge the unintended consequences of bold government undertakings will likely exceed intended ones.
- Avoid relying on the government and take care of themselves.
- Believe the government must deliver happiness, in terms of security and well-being.
- Get their beliefs from Franklin D. Roosevelt's 1936 State of the Union address, which told people to rely on Washington for help at all times.
Source: George Will, "I'm Conservative...And Happy," Townhall.com, February, 23, 2006; and "Are We Happy Yet?" Pew Research Center, February 13, 2006.
Browse more articles on Government Issues