First in Freedom Index
February 11, 2015
The John Locke Foundation, a North Carolinian think tank, create an index to rate the freedom of individual states, giving 50% weight to fiscal policy, a measure of taxation and budget policy, 20% to educational policy, 20% to regulatory policy, and 10% to health care policy. Here are the most interesting results from the report:
- The most free states in order from most free to 5th most free are: Florida, Arizona, Indiana, South Dakota, and Georgia.
- The least free states in order from worst to 5th worse are: New York, New Jersey, California, West Virginia, and Kentucky.
- The most fiscally free states are: South Dakota, Wyoming, Nevada, Texas, and Florida.
- The most educationally free states are: Florida, Arizona, Indiana, Georgia, and Louisiana.
- The states the most free from regulation are: Iowa, Georgia, South Dakota, Oklahoma, and Vermont.
- The states most free in health-care choice are: Idaho, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming, and Indiana.
Source: John Locke Foundation, "First in Freedom Index," February 2015.
Browse more articles on Economic Issues