CANADA'S GENEROSITY GAP
January 11, 2010
Manitoba is Canada's most generous province for the 10th year in a row, but Americans continue to be far more generous than Canadians, according to an annual report on generosity released by the Fraser Institute.
"Generosity in Canada and the United States: The 2009 Generosity Index," shows Manitoba has the highest percentage of tax filers among all provinces donating to registered charities (27.3 percent) and highest percentage of aggregate income donated at 1.02 percent.
"Manitoba has consistently topped the rest of Canada in terms of charitable giving, both in the number of tax filers who donate and the share of aggregate income donated," says Niels Veldhuis, Fraser Institute director of fiscal studies and a co-author of the report.
- Saskatchewan and Ontario are the second and third most generous provinces, respectively.
- In both provinces 25.7 percent of tax filers claimed a charitable donation but Saskatchewan edged out Ontario in terms of the percentage of total income donated to registered charities (0.86 percent versus 0.84 percent).
- Quebec ranks last among Canadian provinces in terms of generosity with 21.9 percent of tax filers claiming charitable donations and donating only 0.33 percent of aggregate income.
Compared to Americans, however, Canadians are far less generous:
- At the national level, the United States surpasses Canada with 26.6 percent of U.S. tax filers donating to charity compared to 24.0 percent of Canadian tax filers.
- Further, Americans gave 1.60 percent of their aggregate personal income to charity, more than double the 0.73 percent that Canadians donated to charity.
"In Canada, this generosity gap limits the power and potential of charities to improve the quality of life across the country," says Veldhuis.
Source: News Release, "Manitoba continues reign as most generous province but Americans are far more generous than Canadians," Fraser Institute, December 14, 2009; based upon: Niels Veldhuis, Charles Lammam and Alex Gainer, "Generosity in Canada and the United States: The 2009 Generosity Index," Fraser Institute, December 14, 2009.
Browse more articles on Government Issues