CLIMATOLOGISTS BAFFLED BY GLOBAL WARMING TIME-OUT
November 23, 2009
A funny thing happened on the road to global warming. Mother Nature is simply not cooperating. Germany's Der Spiegel noted this problem for global warming alarmists last week:
- Global warming appears to have stalled; climatologists are puzzled as to why average global temperatures have stopped rising over the last 10 years.
- Some attribute the trend to a lack of sunspots, while others explain it through ocean currents.
- The Earth's average temperatures have stopped climbing since the beginning of the millennium, and it even looks as though global warming could come to a standstill this year.
Der Spiegel quotes Prof. Mojib Latif of Germany's Leibniz Institute, a noted climatologist about this lack of global warming:
- The planet's temperature curve rose sharply for almost 30 years, as global temperatures increased by an average of 0.7 degrees Celsius (1.25 degrees Fahrenheit) from the 1970s to the late 1990s.
- At present, however, the warming is taking a break.
Latif, one of Germany's best-known climatologists, says that the temperature curve has reached a plateau. "There can be no argument about that," he says. "We have to face that fact."
Source: P.J. Gladnick, "Al Gore Proposes Using Supercomputer Projections to Scare People on Global Warming," NewsBusters, November 20, 2009; based upon: Gerald Traufetter, "Stagnating Temperatures; Climatologists Baffled by Global Warming Time-Out," Der Spiegel, November 20, 2009;
For Der Spiegel text:
Browse more articles on Environment Issues