A MUST-READ BOOK ON GLOBAL WARMING
June 27, 2008
"The Deniers: The World Renowned Scientists Who Stood Up Against Global Warming Hysteria, Political Persecution, and Fraud," a riveting book by Canadian environmental journalist Lawrence Solomon, should be read by anyone who wants to understand where and why substantive debate remains concerning climate change, says H. Sterling Burnett, a senior fellow with the National Center of Policy Analysis.
About a year ago, Solomon began examining the credentials of, and arguments made by, scientists and economists labeled "deniers" by global warming activists and the media. Solomon sought the truth concerning whether there was in fact a consensus on the headline-grabbing issue of global warming, says Burnett.
Solomon's important discoveries include:
- Contrary to the belief popularized by the mainstream media, dissenting scientists are not rare.
- On every headline global warming issue, not only were there serious scientists who dissented, consistently the dissenters were by far the more accomplished and eminent scientists.
- Uncertainties concerning each important facet of the "consensus" view on warming abound, and the dissenting views are at least as plausible -- and often more compelling -- than the alarmist point of view.
- Many scientists have suffered harsh treatment, simply because they follow the scientific method and their own consciences, which led them to conclude global warming is not a crisis.
- The deniers faced furious criticism; funding for their crucial experiments was delayed or cut off; they endured campaigns intended to smear them personally; and some were even charged with deliberately distorting data in the service of special interests.
Though there are many good books on global warming, "The Deniers" is among the most effective in showing how science is being fundamentally undermined in the current politicized atmosphere of climate research, says Burnett.
Source: H. Sterling Burnett, "A Must-Read Book on Global Warming," Heartland Institute, July 1, 2008; based upon: Lawrence Solomon, "The Deniers: The World Renowned Scientists Who Stood Up Against Global Warming Hysteria, Political Persecution, and Fraud," Richard Vigilante Books, April 1, 2008.
Browse more articles on Environment Issues