CONSUMER-DIRECTED TELEMEDICINE SOLUTIONS LOWER COSTS
May 1, 2008
Consumer-driven telemedicine services, such as Consult A Doctor, offer powerful and timely solutions to the fractured U.S. health care system, according to the National Center for Policy Analysis and the Center for Health Transformation.
- Members of the service have easy, convenient and immediate access to consult with physicians by phone or secure e-mail from anywhere, day or night.
- All it takes is a phone call or Internet access to consult with a doctor fast, eliminating unnecessary trips to the doctor or emergency room.
- Members can even be prescribed medication if appropriate for common illnesses and have it called into their local pharmacy or sent directly via overnight delivery.
Up to 70 percent of doctor office visits are merely informational and unnecessary and could be avoided with a phone or e-mail consultation, according to the American Medical Association. However:
- Consult A Doctor's proven and convenient solutions dramatically reduce unnecessary visits to the doctor or emergency room.
- This correlates to less time off work for minor health issues, increased productivity and reduced overall health care claims and costs by up to 25 percent.
- There is a 26 percent reduction in health care costs and 28 percent reduction in sick leave absenteeism in companies with telemedicine and preventative health programs, according to the American Journal of Health Promotion.
The use of information technology for diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of patients' conditions -- brings a new dimension to 21st century health care, making medical care more accessible and convenient to patients, to raise quality and to reduce costs, says the NCPA.
Browse more articles on Health Issues