NCPA - National Center for Policy Analysis


November 30, 2007

Health care insurance premiums in New York state are about 5 percent above the national average, according to an analysis by the Public Policy Institute (PPI).

According to PPI, an arm of the Business Council of New York State Inc.:

  • Health insurance premiums for the average New York family totaled $11,280 in 2005, the last year for which figures are available; this is the 11th highest premium in the nation.
  • The national average for a family premium was $10,728; Rhode Island, with an average family premium of $11,924, paid the highest premiums.
  • New York premiums grew by about 59 percent between 2000 and 2005, an increase that was in line with the national average.

The PPI's analysis also found that employers pay an average of 77 percent of premiums, leaving 23 percent to their workers.  The national average is 76 percent.

Source: "NY'ers pay above average for health care," Buffalo Business First, November 29, 2007.

For text:


Browse more articles on Health Issues