Common Sense Retirement Policy
Neither the public nor the private sector are ready for the 78 million baby boomers retiring over the next 20 years. The unfunded liability of Social Security and Medicare exceeds $107 trillion — 6.5 times the size of the United States economy. Social Security and Medicare are on an unsustainable course and reform is urgently needed.
NCPA proposals would replace pay-as-you-go entitlement programs with funded programs, under which each generation pays its own way. Individuals should have the opportunity and information needed to build their personal retirement savings.
- How Reforms Will Affect Social Security’s Funding Shortfalls, Distribution and Taxes
- Preparing for Retirement in an Uncertain World
- Tax and Social Security Reform: Thinking Outside the Box
- A Framework for Medicare Reform
Our Ideas in Action
Our Ideas in Progress
- Replace Pay-as-You-Go Entitlement Programs with Funded Programs
- Allow People to Save Today for Health Care Expenses Tomorrow
Personal Retirement Savings
- How are Baby Boomers Spending Their Money?
- The Return(s) to Gold
- Mattress Investing Revisited
- Lifetime Income, Longevity and Social Security Progressivity
- How Reforms Would Affect Social Security
- Measuring Social Security's True Liability
- Disability versus Work
Our analysts have developed models for Social Security and Medicare reforms, and retirement planning. Get to know our experts.