Common Sense Retirement Policy
Neither the public nor the private sector are ready for the 78 million baby boomers retiring over the next 20 years. The unfunded liability of Social Security and Medicare exceeds $107 trillion — 6.5 times the size of the United States economy. Social Security and Medicare are on an unsustainable course and reform is urgently needed.
NCPA proposals would replace pay-as-you-go entitlement programs with funded programs, under which each generation pays its own way. Individuals should have the opportunity and information needed to build their personal retirement savings.
- How Social Security Reform Could Benefit Workers
- Medicare Drug Plans: Don’t Mess with Success
- How Entrepreneurs Could Solve Medicare’s Problems
- Framing Medicare Reform
Our Ideas in Action
Our Ideas in Progress
- Replace Pay-as-You-Go Entitlement Programs with Funded Programs
- Allow People to Save Today for Health Care Expenses Tomorrow
Personal Retirement Savings
- MyRA or the Highway?
- Retiring Soon? Pay Off the House First
- How Are Seniors Spending Their Money
- Evaluating Social Security Reforms in the Age of Budget Deficits
- Is Disability Contributing to Women’s Declining Employment
- The State of Health Care Spending
Our analysts have developed models for Social Security and Medicare reforms, and retirement planning. Get to know our experts.