Health

The Doctor’s Out. Where’s the Nurse?

There is a looming physician shortage. Nonphysician primary care providers, or nurse practitioners, could help fill the gap. Nurse practitioners, also called advanced practice nurses in some states, h…

Crisis of the Uninsured: 2010 and Beyond

One of the primary goals of the federal health reform law — the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) — is to ensure that all Americans have health insurance. In 2010, the number of…

Medicaid Block Grants and Consumer-Directed Health Care

Medicaid is a health program for the poor and disabled funded by federal and state appropriations. It is the largest and fastest growing publicly funded health program in the United States.

How Health Reform Affects Current and Future Retirees

This year Medicare will spend more than $530 billion. Beneficiaries will pay for about 20 percent of spending through premiums and income tax payments. Workers will pay the remaining 80 percent throug…

Update on Federal Medicaid Funding

Medicaid is a joint federal-state health program, primarily for the poor. At the federal level, Medicaid is an entitlement. Each enrollee has a right to benefits. However, federal funds are not distri…

Increasing the Cost-Effectiveness of Medicaid Drug Programs

Medicaid is a joint federal-state program that provides medical care to more than 60 million low-income individuals and families. Over the next few years, Medicaid enrollment is expected to swell and…

An Accident Waiting to Happen: New York City's "Crash Tax"

New York City is one of the latest municipalities to propose a "crash tax" to fund emergency services. More aptly described as an emergency service user fee, motor vehicle collisions and vehicle fires…

Affordable Health Plans Are an Endangered Species

Beginning in 2014, most U.S. residents will be required to have health insurance coverage. However, provisions of the new Affordable Care Act (ACA) will limit the choice of health plans offered. Healt…